Fife Flying Club was formed in 1984 under the original name of Fife Aero Club and works in partnership with Tayside Aviation to promote flying, provide tuition and encourage social activities amongst its members. Based here at Fife Airport, the club is ideally positioned for quick and easy access to some of the most attractive scenery in the UK, much of which is uncontrolled airspace.
The club has over 100 active members who come not only from Fife itself but also the Lothians, Tayside, Central Scotland and beyond. Its membership covers a wide range of experience levels from students, (N)PPLs and even a number of commercial pilots, many of whom started their flying as PPL students here at Fife.
The club has a busy calendar of events to cater for the diverse interests of its members. For example:
- Club Evenings – Talks on aspects of aviation skills, safety matters, etc.
- Guest Speakers – These have included the RAF, Fire & Ambulance Services
- Competitions – Treasure Hunts, Quiz Nights, etc.
- Fly-Outs – Trips to other airfiields around the country are always a popular event
- Barbecues – A chance to be social on the ground (especially when the weather’s good!)
The club also organises events in support of local charities and the highlight of the season is perhaps the Annual Summer Fly-In and Open Day. Usually held in June, this event is popular with the local community, with air and ground-based attractions it is always a fun, family day out.
The club has its own website at www.fifeflyingclub.co.uk.